By yogaboy |
Belated news from around the world of last week:
- Combo Breaker is still relatively far but it’s going to be so big that people are planning way ahead. If you are still considering about going check the details of the event or talk to other players about the ST tournament arrangements. This tournament will also be a qualifier for Tournament of Legends III, remember you can still get goodies of the finals through their campaign.
- Mike Watson was finally able to open @SuperDojo in Azusa, CA (former Super Arcade). There will be more info posted about WNF or ST events soon.
- WNF @ e-sports Arena in LA took place on Wednesday (every two weeks) with a final between tomo Ryu and KillerMiller Honda. No brackets available. Stream | Video
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #72 weekly event. The final this week was between x64 and H-Zero. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- MAO doing as he promised and posting 4 more FT5 videos on MAO DB played on the Space Shuttle arcade (Chubu): Hiroki Ken vs Miyamiya Ryu | ARG Claw vs Kusumondo Honda | AFO Blanka vs Opemai Claw | Risuti Ryu vs Futachan Ryu.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the visit of OldSamir Guile from France. Tencho Ryu and Hustler Claw were team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Guoguodi, an old time youtuber who rescues old footage from time to time, posted the final matches of the Gian Recital (5vs5) of 2011. The tournament is packed with top players including some people who are hard to see nowadays like Seki DJ, Nuki, Muteki, Shiki or Sasori. This was actually provided by Gian a couple of years ago when some non-japanese players asked him for old footage but it wasn’t placed on any official channel at that time.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Hatenko Ryu and Aoki Cyclone Zangief.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Otochun and Murasaki Dictator are defending their teams in the final.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku).+ Casuals(?) From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- Marcade has made a mini documentary with his experiences filmed on the weekend of the Fightcade Offline Festival tournament of last month. There you can see more in detail the huge amount of cabinets in the event as well as the experiences of the Japanese players who were invited. The video is in Spanish and subtitled in French.
- Nantarena tournament was run on the weekend at Pays de la Loire. The finals were between InstantAirBifle Dictator and Doudou Guile. Stream (minute 2:30) | Brackets
- The LaDoseNet posted more details on their site about the two French qualifiers for ToL3, as they call it, En route pour le TOL3. The article is both in French and English. By the way, Gamespirit arcade in Lyon, home of LaDoseNet, has been featured this week in a manga.
- The First Attack group who are also organizing the 2X tournament in the PAX event in Paris created a discord group in order to help pre-registration. First Attack is also accepting any donation from the community to help them run their many projects.
- If anyone is around Paris on April 28, DonYann is organizing a meetup at the COIN-OP Table and run a small 2X tournament as well. You can coordinate it with him through the Paris facebook group of 2X.
- One of the US ST legends and current organizer of NCR, John Choi, was interviewed by BornFree. There are quite a few things about the ST history explained during the interview.
- Legendary GamePro Magazines are officially archived on the famous project archive.org and freely available to read. In 1994, there was a special ST guide published shortly after the game release. You can find matchup charts, combo guides and strategy sections of what was believed of the game at that time. Legends involved in the write up were: Boss Man Graham (Graham Wolfe), Jay Rasta Fighter (AfroCole), Yoga Master Chris, Char-Li, To-Ryu-Mo, Mike Watson, Jessie Howard, Eddie Ferrier and Steve Warwick.
- Raging Noob posted a video on youtube showing how some character holds have a random factor (besides player mashing) that determines the speed of the hold.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week is #20 already! The subject this time is T. Hawk’s crouching medium kick
By yogaboy |
- NorCal Regionals in Sacramento happened on the weekend and most of the tournament was streamed on the TeamSp00ky channel. Riz0ne Dictator was the player who defeated eltrouble Dhalsim in the final and got the qualifier spot for ToL3. There were so many matches finishing at the last round of the last game. Also with the privilege of having James Chen and Riz0ne on the mic for the most part. Remember that you can get the final signed poster of the Tournament of Legends that will list all the qualified players. Stream (minute 2:14:45) | Bracket
- The next ToL3 qualifier will be at Texas Showdown in Houston on May 4-6.
- The Lost Ark arcade in NC run another Super Turbo Sessions of casuals on the weekend. Even if it’s casuals the names of the players were updated on screen. Damdai and Rekkaken were some of the guests attending the event. Stream video
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #71 weekly event. The final this week was between NormanJr911 Old Ken and Rakanishu Blanka. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Jenety Old Chun making a very long run for his team and Makiri Ken (a US player living in Japan) placed at the end of the tournament along the other top players. Tomoza Dictator and Suzuka Dhalsim were team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- With the last big East vs West event of few weeks ago, Space Shuttle in Nagoya (Chubu) said good bye to their weekly team tournaments of Friday for now. MAO confirmed it but said he will keep posting FT5 videos on MAO DB from time to time. This week he posted 4 new ones: Edo Chunli vs Hanmokku Blanka, Hanmokku Blanka vs Futachan DJ, Edo ChunLi vs Superstar Boxer, Miyamiya Ryu vs Edo ChunLi.
- The X-er tournament (2vs2) that happened a few weeks ago in Tokyo has been posted unofficially on youtube with annotations to all the matches. This is a tournament meant for advanced players to have a chance to win a major since other top players that have won a major before are not allowed to participate.
- Gamespot Versus weekend tournament (Kanto) which was basically Yakitori Old Hawk and then Shiki Boxer against the world. Both of them defeating everyone on their way.
- Gamespot Versus special tournament (Kanto). A very high level 3vs3 tournament as part of their XV3on3S series. Yakitori Old Hawk does it again and it starts being ridiculous as he has been probably breaking all the records for the last two years which definitely puts him way ahead of other T. Hawks right now.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Kabuki-kun Boxer and Tomoza Dictator.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Matsu Blanka and Yonesaki Dhalsim are defending their teams in the final.
- Amipara Technoland special tournament (Kansai). Last week we posted their belated February edition. This week it’s their March edition, again with their East vs West side tournament too.
- After the main event at the Fightcade Offline Festival (Spain) there was an exhibition match that has been posted now on youtube. It’s called ‘MAO vs The World’, a series of FT5 against the other top European players (except for TMF).
- The LaDoseNet group has officially announced two more European qualifiers for Tournament of Legends III. One in Lyon on July run by LaDoseNet and another one on August in Morlaix run by the First Attack group. There is a 300 euros guaranteed price for the qualified players. There is also a new specific Facebook group for the events.
- The guys from the Player’s Bar in Riom decided to start a ranking battle. This week they had some visitors from Lyon as well. The grand final was between Zarghatt and Nayma. Bracket
- James Chen did another of his “Delayed Commentary” sessions. This time with the Kotaka Shoten vs Ito originally streamed on Daigo‘s channel. The purpose of these sessions is to add commentary as if it was live for the first time. It’s still not clear if it will be eventually put on youtube.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Sagat’s close/far standing roundhouse.
- Fighter101 recorded a perfect run of the Bonus Stages. In Super Turbo they can be activated only in the dreamcast version.
By kuroppi |
Congratulations to Riz0ne for pulling out the victory over eltrouble in an exciting grand finals at Nor Cal Regionals 2018 to become the latest qualifier for TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3!
1. Riz0ne (Dictator)
2. eltrouble (Dhalsim)
3. ultracombo (O. Sagat / Claw)
4. Darkness (Claw / Boxer / Ryu)
5. Millertime (Honda / Claw)
5. yoooooon (Boxer / O. Sagat)
7. Georam (Dictator / O. Ken)
7. brentiscool (Dee Jay)
By kuroppi |
The next ToL3 Qualifier is upon us and it takes place this Saturday, March 31st starting at 10AM PST. You won’t want to miss this one as this tournament will feature some heavy hitters as the competition starts heating up for qualifying spots.
The action will be streamed by the one and only Team Sp00ky at https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky!
They are also accepting on-site registration so there’s still time for you to join! Visit http://www.norcalregionals.com/ for more information.
Also, please visit the ToL3 GoFundMe page to help us with tournament expenses. We’re hoping to reach $650 soon so we can announce the first Japanese invite! Every donation is greatly appreciated, even just a few dollars. Thank you!
By yogaboy |
- The Spring Series tournament was one of the big tournaments of this past weekend with players coming from everywhere in North America and 5 top Japanese players in the tournament too. There are too many hype moments and upsets to list here. The tournament also had the dream final any viewer could wish for. Here are the links to the stream archive. The post will be made again once the videos are up on youtube with annotations. Day 1: Pools + Casuals. Day 2: Casuals (part 1, 2, 3), Top 32 + Losers bracket (part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), Grand finals + award ceremony + Finalist interviews | Bracket: Pools + Top 32
- The fourth qualifier of Tournament of Legends III will be at NorCal Regionals @ Sacramento this weekend (March 30). The finals will be streamed by TeamSp00ky at noon PST time. Remember that you can still get the final signed poster of the Tournament of Legends.
- Akihabara Arcade in Colorado announced they will be running a tournament in June with ST as one of the games.
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #70 weekly event. The final this week was between H-Zero Old Sagat and Rakanishu Blanka. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with Tasaka Cammy as a guest coming from Nagoya. Oja (aka Hide) ChunLi and Kawamata Ryu were team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Game Newton Ooyama team tournament (Kanto) with the top players in Tokyo running an East vs West format.
- Game Daytona Shiki weekly tournament (Kanto). With their usual “winner stays on” format. There are always 2 laps. This week’s final is between Kusa ChunLi and Hide ChunLi.
- Amipara Technoland Monthly tournament (Kansai). They also run an East vs West tournament on the same day.
- Playland F1R 2on2 tournament (Tohoku). From the remote arcade in the very far north of Japan.
- Fightcade Offline Festival was the other big event of the weekend with many European ST players coming from several countries and 2 top Japanese players too. Even though there were issues with the streaming, Chispes was able to record the tournament and Atari re-streamed the top 8 of both solo and team tournaments on Sunday. Isimorn did the commentary but unfortunately it’s not available in the final videos. Those who enjoy seeing MAO losing must know that he had a couple of defeats in this event. Videos with annotations: 3vs3 (Pools + top 8), Solo | Brackets: 3vs3, Solo
- Fightcade Offline Festival was the third qualifier for Tournament of Legends III. Based on the rules, the spot goes to the highest placing European player, which is Zarghatt ChunLi, now in the latest poster of legends.
- The last WSO sessions in the UK had access to the 30th anniversary collection and made a 40 minute special showcase of ST (minute 50:18) with guest players like Orf and Kaosflare having a FT5 (minute 1:13:27).
- Many big associations in Europe are teaming up for a project called The Mix Up that will involve 2X tournaments of some sort. For now there is a teaser on their website and a description “French groups from all over the country are regrouping to build a major as we never did”.
- An old video of BeatBy44 association who run their second monthly ranking battle in Nantes (France) a couple of weeks ago with a final between MMK and TheDead and with a newcomer player called Fappy who dares to play Hawk and Gief as his mains. Warning: the video is in 16:9 instead of 4:3. Video | Bracket
- There will be retro event in Paris called Play (by Pax) on April 21 and 22. The group First Attack (the same organizers of X-Mania 5) will be running several tournaments including 2X.
- LiangHuBBB made another great compilation with highlights from all over the world of the last 5 years, including clips from tournaments in Canada, USA, Europe and Japan.
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Guile standing mk close and far.
- 30th Anniversary Collection is already available to pre-order on Steam.
By kuroppi |
MAO takes the Fightcade Offline Festival championship at NavArcade Akihabara in Spain by defeating TMF in the grand finals.
Based on the rules, the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 qualifier spot goes to the highest placing European player, which is zarghatt. Congratulations to Zarghatt as he joins krost and Comeback on the ToL3 poster!
1. MAO (Claw)
2. TMF (Zangief)
3. zarghatt (Chun-Li)
4. GolcarJack (Guile)
5. Spinalblood (Sagat)
5. Max (Cammy)
7. ISIMORN (Claw)
By yogaboy |
- The Spring Series tournament is finally happening this weekend. There will also be an extra 2vs2 team tournament after the main event. Bracket | Stream
- The second qualifier of Tournament of Legends III took place this weekend at Final Round 2018. The final was between Comeback and Atari. Comeback ended up getting the spot and is featured in the poster now that you can get through the fundraiser campaign. Next qualifier will be at the Fightcade Offline Festival this coming weekend.
- Monday Night Fightcade have been announced as a qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. This tries to connect for the first time the online and offline communities so there as many scenes as possible represented in the final tournament.
- Early registration has been opened for the SummerJam tournament in Philadelphia.
- Monday Night Fightcade @ Arkadeum run their #69 weekly event. The final this week was between LordJimmyBones Boxer and Rakanishu Blanka. Bracket | Video | Leaderboard
- X-er 3, one of the 4 majors in Tokyo, was celebrated this weekend at Big One Arcade. For the first time, a big tournament in Japan was streamed on the youtube platform. The final was Hide Chunli and Suzuka Dhalsim vs Gucchi Ryu and VIPER Hawk. The rough footage can be found their the arcade youtube channel.
- North vs South tournament from the HL-SEGA arcade (Kansai) by Shogatsu. Ao-reppu and Mori are defending their teams in the final.
- Gamespot Versus weekly team tournament (Kanto) with the comeback of some top players like Komoda and Hanashi. Sasori Ryu and Kawasim Dhalsim were team captains. [source: GSV youtube channel]
- Fightcade Offline Festival is going to take place this weekend with the cabinets already in place and MAO and TMF almost on their way. All the ST tournaments will take place on March 24. This will be the third qualifier for the Tournament of Legends III. Registration | Stream
- Ladose run a qualifier for their main XSB tournament. The tournament had a 2vs2 team format. The winning team members are the ones automatically classified for XSB. The winning team was formed by Bansheebot Blanka and Mitsu Old Sagat. Video | Bracket
- STNotW (ST Normal of the Week) by Fudd DJ and hosted on the Free Play Arcade group. This week’s subject is Ryu jump light punch.
- Dreamcast is known for having the best port of the game. If you already own it and couldn’t use your PS3/PS4 stick with it now you can with the new Brook converter.
- There have been several videos this week about early previews of 30th anniversary. There were many concerns about game speed in all those videos and the lack of training mode. However, James Chen confirmed in a later release of the game at Final Round that the speed seems to run fine and that training mode and versus modes will be included in the final version of the game.
By kuroppi |
Comeback defeats Atari in the grand finals of the ToL3 Qualifier at Final Round and joins krost on the ToL3 poster!
1. Comeback (Boxer)
2. Atari (Guile)
3. Rekkaken (CouldBeASetup) (Ryu / O. Ken)
7. Demon of the Mist
13th KSU Abstract
17th Dr M
17th Bryan Phillips
17th Snake Eyez
By kuroppi |
We’re excited to announce that this month’s Fightcade Offline Festival (FOF) taking place in Northern Spain will be a TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 Qualifier!
Notable players in attendance will be: MAO (Japan), TMF (Japan), GolcarJack (UK), Spinalblood (Italy), ISIMORN (France), Zharghatt (France), MAX (France), Rax (Spain).
Note: The tournament is open to all players however the qualifier spot will go to the highest placing European player.
Date: March 24, 2018
Stream link: NavArcade Akihabara in Spain
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/144818986162861/
Registration/Brackets at smash.gg: https://smash.gg/tournament/fightcade-offline-festival-2018
Visit the TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS 3 page for more information.